Saturday, August 25, 2012

First week in Ecuador....Check.

Well Folks, its been a week and I sit here and have no clue where to begin. I can actually tell you in one word how I have felt over the past week but I feel like maybe I should elaborate so just for yall...I will. 

OVERWHELMED. If I could pick one would, overwhelmed would be the winner. This however is not all bad. The week started off with a day of shopping on monday for needed house supplies and then tuesday we dove right into meetings and meetings and more meetings all week. I do not have the best attention span and half of it did not apply to me so therefore I caught myself pondering and thinking of so many things...the thinking so much led to my state of being overwhelmed. 
Things thought about this week: 
2. When is lunch?
3. Will I ever learn spanish?
4. Whats everyone back home doing?
5. When is the first football game?
 Okay but seriously:
6. What is my purpose here?
7. How can I glorify God in my new house, at this school, and with my interactions with the other faculty and staff and eventually students?
The list goes on and on and on and on and on and on. However, the Lord is slowly answering all of these questions. 
The spanish is coming along. I write down new vocabulary words every day to make sure to learn them. I also attended a bible study primarily in spanish. When youre put in situations like that you either sink or swim and those situations are going to help me with my spanish the most ( and of course my fluent roommates). 
As far as everyone back home, I hope yall are getting along just fine without me. I do miss yall and wish yall could experience Quito right along with me. I never thought I would look at a city and say the word "bonita" (pretty) but I cant myself doing it daily. From the colored buildings to the grass covered mountains and volcanos and the snow capped peaks, even to the pot holes in the sidewalks, I find this creation by the Lord beautiful. 
As many of you may still be asking: What exactly will you be doing? Well, here is the run down. 
1. I will be helping Alliance Academy International with data entry. (doesnt  sound fun I know but I came to serve and that is where help is needed) 
2. I will be helping proctor MAP tests (no not geographical maps--what a joke that would be!) They are tests of measured academic progress--state tests kind of except they happen like 3 times a year and the results have to be presented back in a timely manner- hints the help they need. 
3. I will be working in the school cafe- kind of like a coffee shop/bakery.  I am so excited. Its my dream come true! I will be getting to know lots of students this way and learning a lot of spanish since the women there speak very little english. (lucky me :/) haha just kidding it will be just what a girl like me needs to learn my spanish. 
4. This one is my most favorite of them all- At AAI( the school I am helping) they have a program called CSO- Christian Service Outreach. It is an assortment of programs that the students are allowed to participate in on Wednesday afternoons. Most kids volunteer since there are no other school activities that day just for the CSOs. Some groups go to orphanages, some to soup kitchens, others play soccer with local kids, etc. etc. etc. Among the CSOs there is a group called Guardians- It is a discipleship program in which staff members disciple the high schoolers so they in return can disciple middle schoolers. I am so blessed to get to be involved in this CSO. Not only am I involved though, I am actually leading it. So I will be the head staff member (along with the head of spiritual life). I am so excited. One reason I came was to disciple girls and the Lord gave me a wide open door with this CSO. 
5.  I also may have the opportunity to help at a school called Carmen Bajo up north a couple of days a week. This has not been set in stone but I am hoping I can go!! 

So there you have it. Stay tuned though, none of this is set and stone and could change from day to day. Welcome to the mission field! haha
Some other things pertaining to Ecuador (that I think you all should know):
1. I have 9 keys to my apartment and an alarm system. So if any of you are worried about my safety. Have no fear. If they are able to come through 9 locks, I will personally had them a reward for a job well done. haha That would be pretty impressive.
2. Time is irrelevant in Latin American countries: Being a late person I am a huge fan of this aspect of Ecuadorian culture and plan on bringing it back to the states. 
3. As far as food goes, I love it!! all of it. Especially the fruit. Because of the altitude it took me a while to have an appetite but dont worry its back. haha 
                A few new things I love would be: 
                            ---Guanabana yogurt (guanabana is my favorite ecaudorian fruit so far)
                           ---other fruits--i forget the name, of course. 
                           ---And of course the convience of food. (for example the awesome bakery
                               on my walk to school every morning) 
4. I love my roommates! we get along great! What an answered prayer. 
Sooo that is my week in Ecuador...stay tuned to the things the Lord is going to teach me through all these different experiences and challenges. School starts in a week. So if you wanna know what I will be doing next week....well, I'll probably be in a meeting. 
Until next time, Adios. 
Saved by grace, 
Kb. 

No comments:

Post a Comment