Monday, March 3, 2014

Choosing Joy: and dealing with LIFE

Hi All,

Let me go ahead and tell all you glass half full people (like myself) that this blog has real potential to be sad/depressing...bear with me!

I want to inform all you followers and brothers and sisters in Christ about some serious struggles I have been facing here in Ecuador.

Yes, Im a positive (glass half full) kind of person but Im happy to say that this post is reality of real life.

Real life is being held up at gunpoint on a Friday evening walk home---Let me explain. Some of you may know but my guess is MOST of you do NOT so I will give a little detail to explain that, to some of you, scary sentence.

It was Valentines Day and I was on my usual walk home from school with my roommate, Kat. Normal friday evening for us to walk home after school-- around 5:30. We got to the top of the hill where we turn to the final stretch home when two guys came at us--hoping to corner us and trap us against the wall--fortunately their plan did NOT work...

Play by Play: One guy--smaller---with gun came at Kat first--I became quickly in shock but she shouted NO and screamed in a note very few soprano music teachers could hit. I look away for one second and see the other guy coming at me---no gun just his hands ready to grab me or my stuff--still haven't determined that one.  I became very thankful for my sweet students in that moment as my instincts told me to swing and I hit him in the face with a bouquet of roses---catching him off guard, I was able to run---yall know me--im a runner--I ran into the street hoping to draw attention and it worked because the two guys cowardly ran off, hopped in their car and were on their way.

It was OVER...Yay! I will go ahead and say Praise the Lord we were NOT hurt...Praise the Lord that NOTHING was stolen but I will also say that the after math of an incident like this is mentally draining.

So no, mentally, this is NOT over. I was always thankful for my photographic memory in college---it got me through those 4 years with a pretty good GPA but in that moment it is one characteristic I could have lived without.
I can replay it over and over like a broken record and I have--not only for myself but for all who ask--including the police.

So, now that you know what happened---here's the after math for you:
What did I learn on February 14th...
1. It is a valentines day I will never forget---SORRY Boys/Future husband.

2. Im tough, Im smart, Im RESOURCEFUL, Im now experienced.

3. I feel sorry for ignorant people. Let me be clear---I DO NOT hate Ecuador because of this experience--I HATE Ignorance.

4. I also HATE, yes, HATE, that they looked at us and even more specific me and thought weak, helpless- I'm anything but these things. I am an only child (I'm sure some of you are wondering--where is she going with this) because yes that can go 1 of 2 ways but for myself it means---im very determined, independent and strong-willed. I get things done and usually by myself. Another one of my pet peeves (maybe a struggle to some of you--because my pride plays a huge role in this) but it is being seen as weak/wimp/inadequate/NOT capable--

5. I also have had my moments when I'm just down right ANGRY!

6. BUT, I also learned---I can be wherever--my hometown of small town, USA, a big city in the states or a foreign country and I can NOT escape the fate of this world. Evil exist here just as much as it exists in your neighborhood---in your life.

**I know I know, most people wouldn't tell this story. AND I don't tell you so you will feel sorry for me. I don't tell you so that YOU will hate Ecuador.
--I tell you for your prayers--for myself, for this place, and for this world.
--and to let you know/remind you--just in case you forgot that we live in a dark place--I don't mean Ecuador ONLY--I mean this world and by the looks of it---its ONLY getting darker.

BE a light.


Until next time,
Choose Joy,
Saved by grace,
Kb.

1 comment:

  1. KB...I am crying reading this. I so wish I could be with you right now and talk, cry, hug...anything. My heart is so heavy being so far away...I love you so much and am so proud for the way you are trusting the Father through something as trying as this circumstance.

    ReplyDelete